Through 2010, I plotted socio-economic data onto maps of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with Google Earth. This is a very time-consuming process (and the right to produce these maps is questionable at best), so I didn’t pursue it as much as I’d like to have done.
Here is an index of the maps themselves. These maps should be used for information purposes only; do not use them for research purposes. Instead, follow their links to the freely available census tracts offered by StatCan, or, visit a post-secondary institution with access to CANSIM to dig a little deeper into the numbers through different survey tables.
- The Base Map. This shows Halifax Regional Municipality, as demarcated by Statistics Canada’s census tracts.
- Population of Halifax per 2006 Census Tracts. This shows Halifax’s population, tract by tract.
- Population growth and decline, 2001 to 2006. This map reveals population growth patterns in HRM.
- Population Density, Halifax, 2006 Census.
- Unemployment Data, Halifax, 2006 Census.